Attractions in Vienna
It's the biggest square of the city centre. It was the site of the castle of the Babenbergs.
It was erected as a summer place for Prince Eugen in 1714-1733 and is considered to be one of the most beautiful baroque monuments. The architect Lukas von Hildebrandt divided it into a lower and upper palace connected by a magnificent garden.
Börse (Stock Exchange)
Designed by Theophil Hansen from 1874-1877.
The theatre was built from 1874 to 1888 in neo-renaissance style and it was rebuilt in 1956 after having suffered substantial war damage. Its reconstruction allowed for modernizations to the Auditorium. The old Burgtheater stood on Michaeler Platz from 1776-1889.
It is an old market and sanctuary area. Austria fountain with allegories of the rivers Danube, Po, Elb and Weichsel can be found here. Along the northern front is the Schotten church.
It served originally as defence of the south western front of the roman camp. It was incorporated into the city as market place in the 13th century. The trinity column commemorates the plague of 1679. Baroque Peters church with cupola fresco by M. Rottmayr can be found here.
An extensive building complex. It harbours apart from the well-known collections such as secular and religious treasury also the National Library and the Spanish Riding School can be found here.
Communal building designed by the modern painter Friedensreich Hundertwasser answering ecological principles. It was built by the municipality from 1983 to 1985.
A baroque square homogenously structured with the monument of Joseph II which is dominated by the front of the National Library.
Kaisergruft (imperial vault)
140 members of the Habsburg family are buried there. We can see the double-sarcophagus of empress Maria Theresa and her husband Franz Stephan.
This is the most prominent of the Viennese baroque churches. It was built by Fischer von Erlach in 1739.
The original parish church goes back to the 12th century before the erection of the first city wall. The western facade, the big door Heidentürme (?heathen?- towers) date back to 1240. It is 107m long and the most prominent gothic monument and landmark of Vienna from 1304 to 1511. Southern spire is 137m high. The "Pummerin" (the giant bell) is located in the northern tower.
The well-known palace was erected from 1700 to 1723 by Fischer von Erlach and N.Pacassi. It served originally as summer residence of the imperial family. It has a splendid and valuable interior decoration and offers several exhibitions. There is a big French style park around the castle. The major attractions are the Gloriette and world?s oldest zoo, which has been brought up to modern standards.
Giant wheel (Prater)
The Giant wheel was constructed by the British engineer Walter Basset. It is 61m in diameter and turns at a speed of 0,75 meters per second and offers a splendid view of the city. It is the landmark of the Prater, which used to be a hunting ground for the imperial court. Today it serves as an amusement park surrounded by a large wooded green.
The building is a copy of ancient Greek edifices. There are richly carved ornaments and Athene fountain facing the Ringstrasse. Inside there is a central pillared hall.
Postal Savings Building
A building of the secessionist period encased with marble and granite tiles.
Rathaus (Town hall)
A neo-gothic building which was built from 1873 to 1883 and designed Friedrich Schmidt. The striking tower is topped by the iron town hall knight and it measures 104 metres. It has seven inner courtyards one of which is the Arkadenhof.
It is the oldest place of worship in Vienna and it has Romanesque nave and tower base from the 11th century.
The opera was built by Eduard van der Nüll and August Siccardsburg from 1861 to 1869 in French neo-renaissance style. It was reopened in 1955 after heavy bomb damage during the war.
A complex of performance and sport halls designed by Roland Rainer and opened in 1958.
In his design of the building Heinrich Ferstel imitated the Italian renaissance style. It was built from 1873 to 1883.
United Nations Building, Danube Tower
The "Vienna International Centre" was built from 1973 to 1979 for the UN Organizations then located already in Vienna and various UN offices.
The church, similar in style to French gothic, was built by Heinrich Ferstel from 1856 to 1879 to commemorate the abortive attempt on emperor Franz Josef I 's life.
Baden Bei Wien
The most famous city of spas in Austria. It is situated in the southeast part of Wiener Wald, on the bank of the River Schwechat.